- Grease 5 x 8cm ramekin dishes with butter.
- Cut bread into circular discs removing any excess crust. Butter each disc on both sides.
- Arrange a layer of bread at the bottom of the dish, then sprinkle some sultanas. Dust with a mix of nutmeg and cinnamon, then repeat the layers of bread, sultanas and nutmeg/cinnamon until you have used up all of the bread (usually each dish should have 3/4 layers of bread). Use a fork or skewer to make holes all the way through the layers before setting aside.
- Gently warm the Tuk Tuk Chai Masala, cream and cardamom in a pan over a low heat. Just before it boils remove it from the heat.
- Crack the egg yolks into a bowl, add most of the sugar leaving enough to sprinkle over the top of the puddings and lightly whisk until pale.
- Gradually add the warm chai, cream and cardamom concoction into the egg yolk mixture whisking as you pour.
- Pour the custard over the prepared bread layers making sure the custard reaches the lower layers, sprinkle with nutmeg, cardamom and the remaining sugar. Leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
- Half fill a baking tray of ample size to accommodate all 5 ramekins with water to create a bain marie and place the ramekins in it.
- Place the baking tray into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the custard has set and the top is golden-brown.
Recipe created by @kitchenwithcumbers